Thermax XARMOR (ci) is also the only Thermax™ insulation with a dark exterior facer optimized to go behind rain screen exteriors. Its integral, durable thermoset-coated aluminum facer provides a drainage plane, water-resistive barrier and exterior sheathing; eliminating the need for a membrane, building wrap or exterior gypsum. Boasting a strong 4.0 mil embossed, acrylic-coated exterior foil facer, Thermax XARMOR (ci) provides builders with more durability for long-term performance.
With its low perm rating and high insulating value, Thermax XARMOR (ci) can help reduce the potential for condensation within the wall assembly. Thermax is also manufactured using a distinct free-rise technology using a unique fiberglass core for better product consistency, durability and fire performance than generic polyisocyanurate insulations.
Ease of Installation
Thermax XARMOR (ci):
- Eliminates the extra step of installing a membrane or building wrap when used with LiquidArmor and DuraGard CM.
- Is optimized to go behind rain screen exteriors
- Contains UV-stable technology – can remain uncovered up to six months
- Reduces the potential for condensation within the wall assembly
- Is lightweight – easy to cut, handle and install
High Performance Durability
With more than 30 years of exceptional performance, Thermax™ Brand products feature a distinct free-rise technology for better product consistency, durability and fire performance than generic polyisocyanurate insulations.
Sizes, R-values and edge treatment options for Thermax XARMOR (ci) can be found in Table 1 located in the TDS below. Contact your local sales representative for additional sizes.
Thermax XARMOR (ci) Exterior Insulation is manufactured with a zero ozone depleting potential blowing agent. The use of Thermax™ brand insulation helps reduce the carbon footprint of commercial buildings.
Thermax is compliant with California Department of Public Health (CDPH) VOC emissions requirements.
Property and Test Method Value
Thermal Resistance, ASTM C518, R-value 6.9
Compressive Strength(2) , ASTM D1621, psi 25.0
Flexural Strength, ASTM C203, psi 40 min.
Dimensional Stability, ASTM D2126 0.2% max
Water Absorption, ASTM C209, % by volume, max. 0.1
Water Vapor Permeance, ASTM E96, perms <0.01
Maximum Use Temperature, °F 250
Surface Burning Characteristics(3), ASTM E84 for
both foam core and finished product Class A
Flame Spread 25
Smoke Developed <450
Thermax XARMOR (ci) meets ASTM C1289 – Standard Specification for Faced Rigid Cellular Polyisocyanurate Thermal Insulation Board, Type I, Class 2. Applicable standards include:
- C203 – Standard Test Methods for Breaking Load and Flexural Properties of Block-Type Thermal Insulation
- C209 – Standard Test Methods for Cellulosic Fiber Insulating Board
- C518 – Standard Test Method for Steady- State Thermal Transmission Properties by Means of the Heat Flow Meter Apparatus
- D1621 – Standard Test Method for Compressive Properties of Rigid Cellular Plastics
- D2126 – Standard Test Method for Response of Rigid Cellular Plastics to Thermal and Humid Aging
- D2842 – Standard Test Method for Water Absorption of Rigid Cellular Plastics
- E96 – Standard Test Methods for Water Vapor Transmission of Materials
- D1623 – Standard Test Method for Tensile and Tensile Adhesion Properties of Rigid Cellular Plastics
Thermax XARMOR (ci) complies with the following codes:
- ASTM E2178 Standard Test Method for Air Permeance of Building Materials – leakage rates less than 0.001 L/s/m2 at a test pressure of 75 Pa.
- ASTM E2357 Standard Test Method for Determining Air Leakage of Air Barrier Assemblies
- ASTM E331 Standard Test Method for Water Penetration of Exterior Windows, Skylights, Doors, and Curtain Walls by Uniform Static Air Pressure Difference
- 2021, 2018, 2015, 2012 and 2009 International Residential Code (IRC) Section 316
- 2021, 2018, 2015, 2012 and 2009 International Building Code (IBC) Section 2603
- 2021, 2018, 2015, 2012 International Green Construction Code
- 2019 California Green Building Standards Code
- 2020 ICC 700 National Green Building Standard
- Thermax Brand products are covered under Underwriters Laboratories Inc. (UL) file R5622
- Intertek CCRR-0435
- UL 1256 – Fire Test of Roof Deck Constructions, Roof Deck Construction No. 120 and No. 123
- Class A UL 723 (ASTM E84) Surface Burning Characteristics of Building Materials
- The following designs are 1, 2, 3 or 4 hour wall rated assemblies as listed in the UL Fire Resistance Directory:
U026, U326, U330, U354, U355, U424, U425, U460, U902, U904, U905, U906, U907, V454, V482, V499
- NFPA 285 compliant when installed as part of exterior wall assemblies in CCRR-0435 or valid engineering judgement reports
- Miami-Dade County approved
General Insulation Company Inc. is an insulation supplier / insulation distributor that stocks and fabricates a wide variety of industrial and commercial air barrier, vapor barrier, moisture and water barrier products for the construction market.